During the holidays, this blog, SecretPalTeachers.WordPress.com, gets its peak viewership. That makes sense, right? Everybody loves to give Secret Santa gifts.
When January comes, I only post once a month, for those who continue to do Office Buddy or Secret Pal gift-giving. So yes, I’ll still post my gift ideas, but no, you won’t be inundated with unwanted emails and tweets about Secret Pal gift ideas. (Nobody likes an overloaded inbox, right?)
My first post actually looks forward to next month’s February “Secret Pal” or “Office Buddy” gift idea. How do you give your Secret Pal a February gift without seeming too romantic in lieu of Valentine’s Day? Focus instead on Groundhog Day! Bake your Secret Pal some Groundhog Day cupcakes with just a few brown M&M’s, a box of chocolate cake mix, and a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.
Or, if you don’t have a box of chocolate cake on hand, here’s a recipe from Bakerella (see her website for some great step-by-step pictures and tips):
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill cupcake tray with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together with a wire whisk. Add eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix until combined. Add hot water and mix. It will be very liquid.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Pour into liner with a large spouted measuring cup for ease.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done.
- For chocolate frosting, beat 1 cup butter until creamy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix. Slowly add confectioner’s sugar and cocoa and mix until combined. Add 1-2 Tablespoons milk and mix until creamy and smooth.
The image and recipe shown here come from blogger and baking guru, Bakerella.